ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Advises needed regarding about my study

ryokage Male
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 26-11-2012 Default Advises needed regarding about my study

Hi everyone,

I got a little bit problem regarding my study.I'm a diploma student at a public uni and recently just finished my first sem.The problem is I'm considering to further my study at private uni to do A-level in this January. The A-level thing has been in my plan since before entering the pub uni but due to some problems I had decided to enroll myself in diploma first.One of the reason is to get used with the tertiary learning method so then I will get the clearer view on how the life in u is all about.In other word, I try to play safe first(as most of the people think a-level is harder than diploma,but that is not the case now). But still my main target is A-level. (btw , money shouldnt be a problem here)

My question is :

1.Will I be able to pursue my study abroad if decided to continue and finish my diploma?

2.I ve got some friends who managed to pursue their study at foreign university using their diploma cert but still i'm quite unsure whether top unis such as imperial n etc accept diploma cert?( the goal is aeronautical engineering at imperial college)

Deep inside I still got the feeling that A-level will be the best choice for me as it is globally recognized but I know i need to ask some opinion first from the others who might help me as this will be a big decision in my life.
ryokage is offline   Reply With Quote
wannie Female

#2 Old 26-11-2012 Default Re: Advises needed regarding about my study

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryokage View Post
Hi everyone,

I got a little bit problem regarding my study.I'm a diploma student at a public uni and recently just finished my first sem.The problem is I'm considering to further my study at private uni to do A-level in this January. The A-level thing has been in my plan since before entering the pub uni but due to some problems I had decided to enroll myself in diploma first.One of the reason is to get used with the tertiary learning method so then I will get the clearer view on how the life in u is all about.In other word, I try to play safe first(as most of the people think a-level is harder than diploma,but that is not the case now). But still my main target is A-level. (btw , money shouldnt be a problem here)

My question is :

1.Will I be able to pursue my study abroad if decided to continue and finish my diploma?

2.I ve got some friends who managed to pursue their study at foreign university using their diploma cert but still i'm quite unsure whether top unis such as imperial n etc accept diploma cert?( the goal is aeronautical engineering at imperial college)

Deep inside I still got the feeling that A-level will be the best choice for me as it is globally recognized but I know i need to ask some opinion first from the others who might help me as this will be a big decision in my life.
how long does your diploma take actually? and how long is that first semester (6 months)?

It is super rare for people to apply using diploma and the best person to contact is to email imperial college directly. From what I heard you need to show them your learning materials or something (super tedious process plus they favour IB and A levels).

Sorry, but I don't personally know anyone who gained entry to uk unis using a diploma =/ other qualifications yeah, especially US unis which are more varied.

If your semester is not even that long I honestly suggest A levels, in the long run the whole process gets easier. If you are taking other pre U qualifications then i might reconsider my opinion, but for diploma, I don't know seems like it's tougher to get in :S

Cheers! And good luck!

We have a MPPC Meme Contest NOW!
http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16172

Last edited by wannie; 26-11-2012 at 01:03 PM.
wannie is offline   Reply With Quote
ryokage Male
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 26-11-2012 Default Re: Advises needed regarding about my study

Hi wannie and thanks for the honest answer

Urm, well the duration is about 4 to 5 months then one month holiday, and considering the first sem is already over then i still have 5 more to go.Yeah, I knew some people who got admitted to uk using their diploma but the process is very complicated.They need to do all the ucas things all by themselves.quite determined right.lol

Do you take alevel too? if yes, ive got a few questions to ask if u don't mind sharing with me
wannie Female

#4 Old 26-11-2012 Default Re: Advises needed regarding about my study

Quote:
Hi wannie and thanks for the honest answer

Urm, well the duration is about 4 to 5 months then one month holiday, and considering the first sem is already over then i still have 5 more to go.Yeah, I knew some people who got admitted to uk using their diploma but the process is very complicated.They need to do all the ucas things all by themselves.quite determined right.lol

Do you take alevel too? if yes, ive got a few questions to ask if u don't mind sharing with me
oh you only have 5 months left for your diploma? hmm this is tough... but why am I still inclined to ask you to do A levels? Maybe because the UK uni application has already closed so you have to wait for next cycle.. What diploma course are you taking actually?

A lot of people take maybe about 6 months off before starting their A levels anyway. You won't feel outcasted and this route is probably your safest bet.

Yeah sure you can ask about A levels. I took the CIE one.

ryokage Male
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 26-11-2012 Default Re: Advises needed regarding about my study

Sorry , not 5 months.I mean I still got 5 sem more to go and btw I'm currently doing mechanical engineering.what do you mean by taking 6 months off?
wannie Female

#6 Old 27-11-2012 Default Re: Advises needed regarding about my study

Quote:
Sorry , not 5 months.I mean I still got 5 sem more to go and btw I'm currently doing mechanical engineering.what do you mean by taking 6 months off?
Some people would be doing other things between SPM and pre U. 6 months of not continuing their studies is normal. So you can just assume that the 6 months of your time was spent on your diploma

What's your question about a levels?

ryokage Male
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 27-11-2012 Default Re: Advises needed regarding about my study

If I enroll in this January which is 18 months ,how does it works?When will I take AS and A2? When people usually apply n submit their application through ucas?sorry if this questions sound quite mundane.
wannie Female

#8 Old 27-11-2012 Default Re: Advises needed regarding about my study

Quote:
If I enroll in this January which is 18 months ,how does it works?When will I take AS and A2? When people usually apply n submit their application through ucas?sorry if this questions sound quite mundane.
AS: October till November next year
A2: May till June in 2014

Start Uni September or October 2014

If you want to apply to Cambridge, September next year deadline. If Oxford or medicine, October

Deadline for everything else is probably december to january i think.

All these deadlines are subjected to the placement centre in your pre u college because they want to proofread and check for errors in your application first. They will send it to UCAS directly after reviewing them

Results for Oxford out in December. For Cambridge is January. Most other courses by March. I think for medicine the interviews are held during March so the results will be the longest. Doesn't matter since you want to do aeronautical engineeering

Notice that your AS will be on october-november next year, but normally if your a levels is for 1.5 years, your entire AS will be finished by first semester that is first 6 months. So you will cover the entire AS syllabus by June next year, continue learning with A2, but haven't take AS until oct-nov. So you can say they teach the AS for 6 months and A2 for 12 months. Yeah studying for A2 but haven't taken AS sounds a bit daunting but definitely manageable for most

By the way you have to take IELTS as well.

ryokage Male
Super Junior Member

#9 Old 27-11-2012 Default Re: Advises needed regarding about my study

So you mean i will apply the unis using my AS result?
wannie Female

#10 Old 27-11-2012 Default Re: Advises needed regarding about my study

Quote:
So you mean i will apply the unis using my AS result?
your AS results will be out in January 2014. Since I said you will finish learning the entire AS syllabus by first semester (June 2013), the teachers will refer to your first semester results as your AS forecast (including their own judgement based on quizzes etc). UCAS deadline approx september till december 2013 and you only submit your IELTS, SPM and AS forecast

Make sure you submit your UCAS earlier since the deadline coincides with actual AS exams. You wouldn't want personal statements etc to disrupt your AS exams.

However when the university reviews your application, CIE or edexcel will send your actual AS results so normally when they make their decisions, they already know your actual AS results.

Uni decisions : they have your SPM results, forecast AS from pre U. A levels board will give them your real AS results. They make offers and A LEVELS CONDITIONS from there

Entire A levels forecast will be out after your trials but it won't affect your application since whatever offer the university will give already states their CONDITIONS so A levels is just your target to meet the uni requirement

It might sound scary and complicated but you will realise it is not so bad when you are experiencing it. Good luck!