ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Advice Regarding Number of A Level Subjects

Reply
 
Thread Tools
babymekimmy
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 47
  #11 Old 12-12-2012 Default Re: Advice Regarding Number of A Level Subjects

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan2468 View Post
Your MQA subjects will be Malaysian Studies and Islamic/Moral studies. In MCKL the college decides which one you do in which semester...in my case I had to do Malaysian Studies and Islamic Studies in the same semester, because I think they didn't have a lecturer ready for the latter in my first semester. I'm in January intake, and usually students do Moral studies in their first sem, then Malaysian Studies in their second. July intake students do Malaysian Studies first, then Moral Studies. Unless you have to retake (which you only have to do if you don't pass), once you get your MQA exams done you don't have to worry about it anymore.

I quite like MCKL, but you'll probably get mixed responses from some people...the campus is very conducive and we have the benefits of being in close proximity to public transport (buses, MRT, LRT) so you can just go out if you're bored. The lecturers are all generally nice people, you rarely get the nasty types here. And actually I think the modular system is more similar to how it's like in university, you don't only have end-of-year tests when you're in uni...

If you ask me the Edexcel style is more for fast learners. You need to be able pick up on things fast and then study intensely for the exam that you'll be facing in that semester itself. You'll probably have more breathing room if you did Cambridge A-levels. Which one is easier really depends on the student...
Wow, MCKL doesn't have a March intake? June is a little too long, and January seems a little too early! If I go in June, I will be taking my finals in November 2014 or June 2015?

Apart from being nice, are they professional in their teaching and know their subjects thoroughly? Thanks for your opinion on Edexcel, it will really help me make my decision on which exam board will be more suitable. I've read from your blog that you want to read Law in future, will you be doing the entire 3 years overseas?
babymekimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
joan2468 Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
joan2468's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 255
  #12 Old 12-12-2012 Default Re: Advice Regarding Number of A Level Subjects

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymekimmy View Post
Wow, MCKL doesn't have a March intake? June is a little too long, and January seems a little too early! If I go in June, I will be taking my finals in November 2014 or June 2015?

Apart from being nice, are they professional in their teaching and know their subjects thoroughly? Thanks for your opinion on Edexcel, it will really help me make my decision on which exam board will be more suitable. I've read from your blog that you want to read Law in future, will you be doing the entire 3 years overseas?
MCKL does have a March intake, but I would strongly advise against starting in March - this isn't something they generally tell you, but March intake is an absolute roadkill for Edexcel, especially if you're doing pure science. Reason being : you will graduate at the same time as the January intake students, except you have the significant disadvantage of your first Edexcel exam being in January the following year, whereas January intake students have their first exam in June of that year.

For your subject combination, if you went for March 2013 intake at MCKL you'd be sitting for 10 papers in January 2014 (Core Maths 1 to 4, Econs Unit 1 to 3, Psych 1 and 3, Unit 1 for lit. + Unit 2 coursework for lit). Not to say it's impossible to do well if you start in March, but that kind of work load isn't something that most people are able to handle very well. The hierarchy of intakes for MCKL is July > January > March, July being the best in terms of how their exams are spread out, March being the worst because you have so many exams lumped together for your first Edexcel sitting.

I'd say teaching quality at MCKL is alright. Like with every place, there are some really good lecturers, some so-so and some bad lecturers too. But either way in A-levels you're expected to be more independent and revise without being told to. MCKL has tests quite frequently (we have monthly tests, qualifying tests and semester exams aside from Edexcel exams), I leave it to you to decide if that's a good thing or not

I have applied to do law in the UK and have received two offers so far, but I would need a scholarship to be able to afford to go abroad, so we'll see how things go.
__________________
Check out my blog if you're interested! http://liberal-malaysian-view.blogspot.com
joan2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joan2468 For This Useful Post:
babymekimmy
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 47
  #13 Old 12-12-2012 Default Re: Advice Regarding Number of A Level Subjects

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan2468 View Post
MCKL does have a March intake, but I would strongly advise against starting in March - this isn't something they generally tell you, but March intake is an absolute roadkill for Edexcel, especially if you're doing pure science. Reason being : you will graduate at the same time as the January intake students, except you have the significant disadvantage of your first Edexcel exam being in January the following year, whereas January intake students have their first exam in June of that year.

For your subject combination, if you went for March 2013 intake at MCKL you'd be sitting for 10 papers in January 2014 (Core Maths 1 to 4, Econs Unit 1 to 3, Psych 1 and 3, Unit 1 for lit. + Unit 2 coursework for lit). Not to say it's impossible to do well if you start in March, but that kind of work load isn't something that most people are able to handle very well. The hierarchy of intakes for MCKL is July > January > March, July being the best in terms of how their exams are spread out, March being the worst because you have so many exams lumped together for your first Edexcel sitting.

I'd say teaching quality at MCKL is alright. Like with every place, there are some really good lecturers, some so-so and some bad lecturers too. But either way in A-levels you're expected to be more independent and revise without being told to. MCKL has tests quite frequently (we have monthly tests, qualifying tests and semester exams aside from Edexcel exams), I leave it to you to decide if that's a good thing or not

I have applied to do law in the UK and have received two offers so far, but I would need a scholarship to be able to afford to go abroad, so we'll see how things go.
I too have heard from others that students in the March intake have to really rush their studies as they take the exams the same time with the Jan intake. So if I start in June, I'll finish A-levels almost half a year later than those in the March and Jan intake, is that correct? Then after completing my A-levels, if I enroll for a 2+1 law degree program, do you know when will I start the degree? Is it beginning of the year or following UK which is around Sept?

Hmm, thank you so much for your opinions. I think I will go to MCKL and take it a look at how it is.
babymekimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
joan2468 Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
joan2468's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 255
  #14 Old 12-12-2012 Default Re: Advice Regarding Number of A Level Subjects

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymekimmy View Post
I too have heard from others that students in the March intake have to really rush their studies as they take the exams the same time with the Jan intake. So if I start in June, I'll finish A-levels almost half a year later than those in the March and Jan intake, is that correct? Then after completing my A-levels, if I enroll for a 2+1 law degree program, do you know when will I start the degree? Is it beginning of the year or following UK which is around Sept?

Hmm, thank you so much for your opinions. I think I will go to MCKL and take it a look at how it is.
If you went for July 2013 intake, based on the current system you would be finishing in January 2015, yes. I'm afraid I can't help you with regards to when your degree program will start, you'll have to ask the uni you want to go to for that
__________________
Check out my blog if you're interested! http://liberal-malaysian-view.blogspot.com
joan2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joan2468 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A-Level Subjects nursha Education 43 13-01-2011 02:33 PM
Help: Level of Difficulty of SAT II subjects hobartlim Education 17 12-01-2009 04:06 PM
What is the combination of subjects for A-level if i aspire to be a doctor derexeddie Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate 12 31-05-2008 10:58 AM
Which A level subjects allows an A grade through self study Hosea Education 25 30-08-2007 08:29 PM
a level's subjects for jpa scholars, hows to choose aioxen Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) Scholarships 38 12-06-2007 06:48 PM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ReCom stands for Reborn Community. It has no affiliation with other organizations that may share the same name. The views expressed in this website solely represent the authors point of view and do not necessarily reflect the views of ReCom Anchors and other ReCom users.


 

Page generated in 0.09500 seconds with 15 queries