ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > ReCom Chat Forum

ReCom Chat Forum This is where you chat! As per new policy, all social messages e.g. "hey are you the cute guy sitting next to me in interview yesterday" MUST be posted here.

Kolej Yayasan UEM (KYUEM) or matriculation?

derexeddie
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 11-05-2008 Default Kolej Yayasan UEM (KYUEM) or matriculation?

Which one is better?

KYUEM-good, established, all the good ppl go there, can do A lvl, chances of gaining admission into oxbridge is very high. However, very *expensive*

Matriculation- no need to pay, 1 year programme, easier. However, no chance to enter top notch univs.
derexeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
teiya_drumzaddict Female
Less Junior Member

#2 Old 11-05-2008 Default

Paying yourself or what? If u have the money go KYUEM. better rite?

#3 Old 11-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by derexeddie View Post
Which one is better?

KYUEM-good, established, all the good ppl go there, can do A lvl, chances of gaining admission into oxbridge is very high. However, very *expensive*

Matriculation- no need to pay, 1 year programme, easier. However, no chance to enter top notch univs.
its very expensive.if u wana do Alvls i wud suggest u to go to HELP or Taylors and etc.u can still apply for scholarships after Alvls.chances to go to top unis are always there.as long as u strive for it,shudnt be a biggie.
megatfais is offline   Reply With Quote
derexeddie
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 12-05-2008 Default

if i go to KYUEM means thats i am going wif my own money...
so better set my priorities rite here.
anyway, money shouldn't be an issue as there are loans available but he problem is when i graduate, i will be very heavily in debts (think so?)
But, of course going to KYUEM has always been a dream of mine. So, should i chase after my dream o juz go to matrik? and a year later, go through this same process of applying and getting rejected again?
caramel_nut Female
Slightly Senior Member

#5 Old 12-05-2008 Default

You not only have to think about the loans for KYUEM but also for your university in the future. Do remember that going to Oxbridge (or any university in UK) is way more expensive than KYUEM and if you fail to secure a local scholarship or from some other sources, you might have to take a loan again and it will take you forever to pay back the loan. Getting a BIG education loan should always be the very last resort.
caramel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sillyboy Male
Slightly Senior Member

#6 Old 13-05-2008 Default

OP please think through this very carefully!! Your toying of the idea or pursuing A level in KYUEM is likened to playing with fire if you ask me!
Sillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
derexeddie
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 18-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyboy View Post
OP please think through this very carefully!! Your toying of the idea or pursuing A level in KYUEM is likened to playing with fire if you ask me!
why?
it is too expensive?
anyway, i have the offer letter, juz waitng for the registration day.
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#8 Old 18-05-2008 Default

Why is going to KYUEM your dream? Anything you like about it that cannot be found elsewhere? If it is just the chance to study A levels that you wanted, it's possible to do A levels in many other private colleges. Also, I wouldn't exactly say that the chances of getting into Oxbridge are "very high" anywhere. From how I see it, if you are good enough for Oxbridge, you're going to get in despite where you took your A levels anyway. =P

If money is a concern for you, have you checked with KYUEM to see if you are able to get some form of tuition fee waiver if you do well in your studies?

About matriculation, you probably know by now that you can't apply to any foreign universities using your matriculation qualifications, so going overseas for your undergraduate degree is quite out of the question. However! You can always go overseas for your postgraduate like Masters, etc.

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
derexeddie
Super Junior Member

#9 Old 19-05-2008 Default

yup, i hav made up my mind!!
i am going to KYUEM becoz after i did a "survey" on all the private colleges, KYUEM seems to be the best among them all. After all, after entering kYUEM, I can still apply for other scholarships, thats what my seniors told me. ( the chances are bigger there!!)
caramel_nut Female
Slightly Senior Member

#10 Old 19-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by derexeddie View Post
yup, i hav made up my mind!!
i am going to KYUEM becoz after i did a "survey" on all the private colleges, KYUEM seems to be the best among them all. After all, after entering kYUEM, I can still apply for other scholarships, thats what my seniors told me. ( the chances are bigger there!!)
Yes, you can still apply for other scholarships after A Levels but based on personal experience and from friends who have secured Cambridge offers in the past but didn't have a scholarship offer on hand, applying for a scholarship even with an Oxbridge offer isn't really that much easier. Do bear that in mind. KYUEM is good only because it students are predominantly scholars, whom have been pre-selected beforehand and destined to be sent overseas. Other than that, I wouldn't think there is too much of difference. Many other local colleges have a good track record of sending students to Oxbridge as well. However, since you have already made up your mind, I guess what I say here doesn't really matter anyway. Good luck.
caramel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote