ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

What is the combination of subjects for A-level if i aspire to be a doctor

derexeddie
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 21-05-2008 Default What is the combination of subjects for A-level if i aspire to be a doctor

I plan to take up 3 sciences + 1 math. Is that good enough?
derexeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
runninghorse

#2 Old 21-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by derexeddie View Post
I plan to take up 3 sciences + 1 math. Is that good enough?
What makes you think that it is no good?

It is the usual combination subjects in A-Level for those who will be studying science-related subjects later in university...
runninghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#3 Old 21-05-2008 Default

How is that not "good enough"? XD Seriously though, 3 Sciences + 1 Math is the standard for students nowadays, and it basically gives you the most options university-wise.

With that said, however, I wanted to take that combination when I initially signed up for A levels too, but then decided to pick an unconventional subject which I was academically interested in. It has paid off, and until today, I don't regret dropping Physics for Psychology.

What I'm trying to say is, if you're interested in learning a particular subject, there's no harm in taking it up. For Medicine, Chem and Math are compulsory, while some places might demand for Physics. As far as I'm concerned, Bio isn't compulsory but I could be wrong.

Some possible alternatives, if you are contemplating to take the road less traveled are Further Maths, Psychology, Econs.

Bottomline is, you can't go wrong with 3 Sciences and Math, but don't feel pressurized to take that combination just because everyone else is doing it. If you're interested in one other subject, it won't harm your application to drop a science in favour of it [as long as you're not dropping any of the Medic-compulsory subjects!].

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
derexeddie
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 22-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassylicious View Post
How is that not "good enough"? XD Seriously though, 3 Sciences + 1 Math is the standard for students nowadays, and it basically gives you the most options university-wise.

With that said, however, I wanted to take that combination when I initially signed up for A levels too, but then decided to pick an unconventional subject which I was academically interested in. It has paid off, and until today, I don't regret dropping Physics for Psychology.

What I'm trying to say is, if you're interested in learning a particular subject, there's no harm in taking it up. For Medicine, Chem and Math are compulsory, while some places might demand for Physics. As far as I'm concerned, Bio isn't compulsory but I could be wrong.

Some possible alternatives, if you are contemplating to take the road less traveled are Further Maths, Psychology, Econs.

Bottomline is, you can't go wrong with 3 Sciences and Math, but don't feel pressurized to take that combination just because everyone else is doing it. If you're interested in one other subject, it won't harm your application to drop a science in favour of it [as long as you're not dropping any of the Medic-compulsory subjects!].
yup, thx. I think i will stick to that choice.
Glassylicious, r u a medic too?
derexeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#5 Old 22-05-2008 Default

Nope. I'm studying Math, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology for A levels, but I intend to do Law in university. Hahaha. XD

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

runninghorse

#6 Old 24-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Nope. I'm studying Math, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology for A levels, but I intend to do Law in university. Hahaha. XD
Hi Glassylicious.... i wanna ask one question

Do you think that it is advisable for me to take a combination of the following subjects in pre-u when i will be doing pharmacy course in university?
--- Biology+Chemistry+Maths+Psychology

Will most of the university overseas accept that combination or they prefer 3 pure science subjects?

Because i am not very keen to learn Physics among the 3 pure science subjects and i have an interest in psychology study...

can someone please give me some advices on this?
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#7 Old 24-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninghorse View Post
Hi Glassylicious.... i wanna ask one question

Do you think that it is advisable for me to take a combination of the following subjects in pre-u when i will be doing pharmacy course in university?
--- Biology+Chemistry+Maths+Psychology

Will most of the university overseas accept that combination or they prefer 3 pure science subjects?

Because i am not very keen to learn Physics among the 3 pure science subjects and i have an interest in psychology study...

can someone please give me some advices on this?
I believe what's really required is Chemistry, and Biology would be good, too. However some universities [specifically referring to Nottingham UK campus and University of London] have stated that ideally you should have at least 3 science subjects. But then again, Math can be considered a science, if I am not mistaken. Chem, Bio [or Physics] and Math is good enough for Imperial College.

Which university are you eyeing, specifically?

runninghorse

#8 Old 24-05-2008 Default

Quote:
I believe what's really required is Chemistry, and Biology would be good, too. However some universities [specifically referring to Nottingham UK campus and University of London] have stated that ideally you should have at least 3 science subjects. But then again, Math can be considered a science, if I am not mistaken. Chem, Bio [or Physics] and Math is good enough for Imperial College.

Which university are you eyeing, specifically?
Thank you Glassylicious...

Hahaha... i myself also dont know which overseas university to choose.. have to see which country jpa will send me to study....

anyway... is University of New South Wales in Australia good enough to pursue pharmacy there? or is there any other recomendations from you?
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#9 Old 24-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninghorse View Post
Thank you Glassylicious...

Hahaha... i myself also dont know which overseas university to choose.. have to see which country jpa will send me to study....

anyway... is University of New South Wales in Australia good enough to pursue pharmacy there? or is there any other recomendations from you?
Aah. Well, I'm very sorry to say that I know almost zilch about Australian universities, having focused most of my efforts and research on UK universities. XP

I highly recommend you to ask around those who are more familiar with tertiary education in Australia. Sorry bout that! Hehe.

runninghorse

#10 Old 24-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Aah. Well, I'm very sorry to say that I know almost zilch about Australian universities, having focused most of my efforts and research on UK universities. XP

I highly recommend you to ask around those who are more familiar with tertiary education in Australia. Sorry bout that! Hehe.
Good!!! Since you have done a few research on UK universities.... any suggestions on famous university in UK for pharmacy?

It might happen that i will get to be sent to UK....(i do hope so)