ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Level of Difficulty of SAT II subjects

hobartlim Male
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 20-12-2008 Question Level of Difficulty of SAT II subjects

Hey recomers, I was hoping if you all could help me. I was wondering how hard exactly are the SAT II subjects, specifically the Physics, Chemistry & Maths I&II compared to secondary school levels & what is taught in A-levels for their respective subjects. I'm hoping that those who have taken SAT II subjects would be able to help me answer these questions.

Thank you.
hobartlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Jieweitan Male
Less Junior Member

#2 Old 21-12-2008 Default Re: Level of Difficulty of SAT II subjects

I took it during December. Still waiting for my results... I never took A-levels before... But if you merely taken SPM then...

Chemistry - Very different. The quantum stuff made my head spin when I first started reading it. But i think once you grasp the new stuff, you should do fine. There are several key difference with what we learned in SPM. It feels as though as what we learned in SPM is merely the tip of the iceberg. :O I didn't take it though. Bio was tough enough for me.

Math 1 - Doable. But it is very tricky. The graph for this test is very steep.

Math 2 - With SPM math, I think you can do like... 70% of the questions. With Precalculus, you should be able to do all of them. Math 2 is arguably easier than Math 1 to score because you can blank 5 questions or so and still score a 800.

Physics - I didn't take it, but I heard it is 70% SPM and 30% extra stuff. I'll let someone more familiar with it do the commenting.

You can check out the topics covered here:

Chemistry
Math 2
Math 1
Physics

Squids are sexy.
Jieweitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jieweitan For This Useful Post:
digital_lifeform
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 22-12-2008 Default Re: Level of Difficulty of SAT II subjects

No one can give you an answer. You are better off buying the official SAT books for SAT II subjects and doing them. Only you can judge how hard is it.
digital_lifeform is offline   Reply With Quote
hobartlim Male
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 22-12-2008 Default Re: Level of Difficulty of SAT II subjects

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_lifeform View Post
No one can give you an answer. You are better off buying the official SAT books for SAT II subjects and doing them. Only you can judge how hard is it.
Ya, I know, but I would appreciate it if someone who has been through it to tell me just roughly how hard it is compared to SPM & A-levels. I know I'll only truly know it when I take it, but I'm trying to see whether doing an A-levels will help or not in SAT II, whether it's syllabus is relevent to SAT II.
hobartlim is offline   Reply With Quote
clep Female

#5 Old 22-12-2008 Default Re: Level of Difficulty of SAT II subjects

You will 'know' when you do the practice tests in those SAT books. Basically it's a little harder than SPM and easier than A-Levels.

And A-Levels will help in more ways than just SAT II. Some unis give you credit for your A-Level classes taken, and most of them view it as a rigorous college prep system.
clep is offline   Reply With Quote
digital_lifeform
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 23-12-2008 Default Re: Level of Difficulty of SAT II subjects

Difficult or easy is very subjective. In terms of the material covered, SAT covers more than SPM but much less than A-Levels. You do not need to take A-Level to do SAT II questions, buying some revision book and doing self study for a month or two will do, then how easy the test is depends on how smart you are.
digital_lifeform is offline   Reply With Quote
candyaddict Female
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 25-12-2008 Default Re: Level of Difficulty of SAT II subjects

I took chem and maths 1, got 800 and 710 respectively.

for chem, I borrowed a Tim McGraw book off my friend to study from. Since I'm doing A Levels now, chem was alright - I had a random shot at the quantum number thing and surprisingly got it correct.

for maths 1 - I think sitting for it right after your SPM would be ideal, because in A levels, I don't do much geometry and the SAT2 paper was choc-a-block full of it.

I recommend getting books from Bangladesh to study from - they're pirated and indecently cheap, crap quality paper but it's the content that you want.
candyaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Gabrielle90
Slightly Senior Member

#8 Old 25-12-2008 Default Re: Level of Difficulty of SAT II subjects

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyaddict View Post

for chem, I borrowed a Tim McGraw book off my friend to study from. Since I'm doing A Levels now, chem was alright - I had a random shot at the quantum number thing and surprisingly got it correct.

for maths 1 - I think sitting for it right after your SPM would be ideal, because in A levels, I don't do much geometry and the SAT2 paper was choc-a-block full of it.

I recommend getting books from Bangladesh to study from - they're pirated and indecently cheap, crap quality paper but it's the content that you want.
Bangladesh? How did you get that?
Gabrielle90 is offline   Reply With Quote
gman Male

#9 Old 25-12-2008 Default Re: Level of Difficulty of SAT II subjects

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyaddict View Post

i think the publisher of the book was McGraw Hill's. Tim McGraw is a country singer if i am not mistaken...
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
chongkeat Male

#10 Old 26-12-2008 Default Re: Level of Difficulty of SAT II subjects

Quote:
i think the publisher of the book was McGraw Hill's.
Yep, it is. And I was kinda blur when I saw "reading Tim McGraw".

And anyone knows how the Lower Six syllabus compares to the science subjects? Cos' I haven't started reading (the books) yet. My excuse is the applications.....
chongkeat is offline   Reply With Quote