ReCom.org
A Level students Click here to visit this social group

A Level

AnnieChan Female

#11 Old 19-04-2010 Default Re: A Level

So, would it be better to take the Cambridge one or the Edxcel one ? Im planning on taking A levels but I'm not sure what the differences are except for the structure of the curriculum. Is the GCE A level more accepted into overseas university compared to the Edexcel one..or there is no differences?
AnnieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sillyboy Male
Slightly Senior Member

#12 Old 09-05-2010 Default Re: A Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieChan View Post
So, would it be better to take the Cambridge one or the Edxcel one ? Im planning on taking A levels but I'm not sure what the differences are except for the structure of the curriculum. Is the GCE A level more accepted into overseas university compared to the Edexcel one..or there is no differences?
Whichever you choose, you will alright because they are both internationally recognised.
Sillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Mirianchoo
ReCom Staff
Kapitan o'Wiki

#13 Old 10-10-2010 Default Re: A Level

Edexcel A-Level is generally easier because the topics are not studied in as much depth as those in Cambridge A-Levels. I studied Cambridge A-Levels for 6 months before leaving for INTEC, UiTM and taking Edexcel A-Levels and what I found was that the Edexcel A-Level syllabus is not organised well and does not cover as many areas as the Cambridge A-Levels.

So, if you want easy A's, take Edexcel A-Levels. If you want more detailed learning of your subjects, I would suggest taking Cambridge A-Levels for more of a challenge.
Mirianchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirianchoo For This Useful Post:
phan_nop Male
Super Junior Member

#14 Old 13-01-2011 Default Re: A Level

hi im new in forums, so i hav no idea where should i direct my questions to.

i am a malaysian who studied in singapore for the past 2 years, i sat for the 2010

singapore-cambridge a-lvl. the results have not been released yet but i hav a very strong

feeling tat i will not do well. therefore, i hav decided to retake the cambridge

international exam in malaysia ( now that im back here). I hav no idea how the private

candidate CIE will be conducted. back in s'pore, we have to sit for practical lab test for

different science subjects in year 1 and it is only during year 2 that we sit for all the

written papers. i wonder if, as a private candidate, i would be able to resit for the

following subjects : chemistry, biology, math and General Paper all in one sitting during

the June 2011 CIE which is now open for registration.

Also on the application form

http://www.britishcouncil.org/malays...hool-exams.htm

where we are asked to choose for subject registration, under the chem and bio sections

there is this "carried forward June AS mark" option. this really confused me as in s'pore, i

only had the choice of either H1 or H2(deeper in depth and scope).

my main and most desperate concern now is to know whether i can COMPLETE THE

CIE ALL DURING THE JUNE 2011 PERIOD ONLY, as i really wish to do well this time

and enter a decent Uni (IMU hopefully). my family is not well off, so i really hope to

finish my studies ASAP and work. and if this is the case, which subject/syllabus code

should i register for my Chem, Bio, Math and GP(gp is quite clear cut case). the math

alone has as many as 7 papers.. which papers combination should i take?

I went to british council in KL the other day but the person at the counter is of not much

help. i can't afford to enroll myself into a local College anymore, so i hav to sit as a

private candidate. this mean having to deal with registration on my own.

I really hope that any of you who have the experience or knowledge in this field to

lend me a helping hand. your kindness is greatly appreciated thanks a million

p/s i obtained all the app form from the british council website :
phan_nop is offline   Reply With Quote
jingyi Female
Less Junior Member

#15 Old 05-03-2011 Default Re: A Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan_nop View Post
where we are asked to choose for subject registration, under the chem and bio sections

there is this "carried forward June AS mark" option. this really confused me as in s'pore, i

only had the choice of either H1 or H2(deeper in depth and scope).

my main and most desperate concern now is to know whether i can COMPLETE THE

CIE ALL DURING THE JUNE 2011 PERIOD ONLY, as i really wish to do well this time

and enter a decent Uni (IMU hopefully). my family is not well off, so i really hope to

finish my studies ASAP and work. and if this is the case, which subject/syllabus code

should i register for my Chem, Bio, Math and GP(gp is quite clear cut case). the math

alone has as many as 7 papers.. which papers combination should i take?

I went to british council in KL the other day but the person at the counter is of not much

help. i can't afford to enroll myself into a local College anymore, so i hav to sit as a

private candidate. this mean having to deal with registration on my own.

I really hope that any of you who have the experience or knowledge in this field to

lend me a helping hand. your kindness is greatly appreciated thanks a million

p/s i obtained all the app form from the british council website :

actually, the "carried forward June AS mark" option is to carry forward your mark for A2 level.

We have AS level and A2 level in cambridge A level, like your H1 and H2.

It is advised to carry forward your As mark as A2 level will be a lot harder. By carrying forward your AS mark, the entire result of A level will be an average of AS and A2 level according to a specified weightage . You have the choice to include your AS mark or not.

And it is impossible to have a short route to complete an A level as far as i concern, 1.5 years is a must. I'm sorry about this.

I took Chem, Physics, Bio and Maths

Yes, there are the code for exam papers.

http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/inde...%20AS%20Level/

lol........this is the website providing free past year exam papers, 9700 will be the code for bio and etc...

fyi, 9700(bio) s10 (summer/june 2010) qp (question paper) 51

for AS level, paper 1 and paper 2 will be it.

and u may encounter things like paper 33 paper 32 paper 51, 52

actually the 1st digit matters only. it is like paper 3 and paper 5 but the 2nd digit means 1st variant 2nd variant.

they have 3 different papers for the same exam taken by the same batch of candidates. Different colleges take different paper.

I hope it helps =)
jingyi is offline   Reply With Quote
xJing Female

#16 Old 14-04-2011 Default Re: A Level

Well, it's like this. Cambridge A-levels is divided into TWO sections: Advanced Subsidiary (AS) and A2. For Bio, Chem and Maths, AS comprises Papers 1, 2 and 3; A2 comprises Papers 4 and 5. Most people sit for their AS first, then their A2 half a year later. The total score from all FIVE papers will give you your overall A level grade. AS contributes 50% to this, and A2 contributes the remaining 50%. This is what is meant by 'bringing forward the AS score'. You can also opt to take all five papers in one go, but I would advise against that because it is rather demanding. Even good students avoid that.

If you really fail to understand the whole system, I suggest you arrange for a session with a college counselor to talk this over. It'll give you a better view of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingyi View Post
And it is impossible to have a short route to complete an A level as far as i concern, 1.5 years is a must. I'm sorry about this.

they have 3 different papers for the same exam taken by the same batch of candidates. Different colleges take different paper.

I hope it helps =)

1.5 years is NOT a must. I'm doing a 1 year program, and so far I'm on track to getting straight As for my A levels. There are colleges across Malaysia offering it. Penang, especially, is well-known for that. Sunway College also offers the one-year program in their main campus, if I'm not mistaken.

There are also more than three variants now. Paper 3 has gone up to 5 or 6 variants, according to the Oct/Nov 2010 scheme.

http://kttshinesforjesus.blogspot.com

Last edited by xJing; 14-04-2011 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
xJing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xJing For This Useful Post: