ReCom.org
A Level students Click here to visit this social group

A Level

The Myth Male
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 28-11-2008 Default A Level

Title says everything.This is a thread for all ex-,current,would-be A Level students to learn,to teach and to share experience,advice,information and tips here.

Let me start with some questions.

How many types of A level available in M'sia?I merely know there are Cambridge A level and GCE A level.Are they the same?In lieu,What are the differences between them?How do you think A level is different from other courses like Form 6 and Matriculation?

Feel free to share...
The Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Blubery Euglena Female
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 02-12-2008 Default Re: A Level

Well..I dun actually know how many types of A level is available in Malaysia..But i do know there's loads of A level available..So I am telling you what I know..

There's edxcel which is available in HELP college & USCI which is under the London examination board if I am not mistaken...
There's cambridge A level which is available in Taylor, Ktt and other colleges under CIE board..
I thought GCE A Level is only famous in Singapore..So now i know there's GCE A in Malaysia too..But since GCE A level is being used in Singapore..It should be more harder than the other a level in Malaysia..Or am I wrong ?

Well..For Edexcel and Cambridge...They are almost the same..It's just that some of the content might be different...But not very much big difference..I personally think that the education level of Sinagpore is higher and harder than Malaysia..What do you think about it ?

A level is more easier than the form 6..Because what they study in form 6 is more harder and the range is far wider than the contents we study in A level..They have to memories more things compare to us which means they are studying more knowledge than what we are studying..And what we study currently is just slightly harder than form 5...So A level is more easier than form 6..

But i feel that matriculation is more easier than A level...I dun know why but i just feel so..Perhaps is what i heard from the others about the matriculation..Btw..Is the matriculation you mention the same as the matriculation under MARA or are you talking about SAM ? I am confuse..
Use your Experience in your Experiments to acheive your Expectations. ..!!!

Blubery Euglena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blubery Euglena For This Useful Post:
Sillyboy Male
Slightly Senior Member

#3 Old 05-12-2008 Default Re: A Level

The format for Edexcel has changed.
Sillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
tanyijing2007 Male

#4 Old 12-12-2008 Default Re: A Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
Title says everything.This is a thread for all ex-,current,would-be A Level students to learn,to teach and to share experience,advice,information and tips here.

Let me start with some questions.

How many types of A level available in M'sia?I merely know there are Cambridge A level and GCE A level.Are they the same?In lieu,What are the differences between them?How do you think A level is different from other courses like Form 6 and Matriculation?

Feel free to share...
The GCE A-level you mean can be specifically known as Edexcel A-level, which I think is the only A-level available now in Malaysia. It is conducted by Edexcel, an examination board under Pearson and University of York. I am afraid to say there are quite a number of differences between Cambridge A-level and A-level conducted by Edexcel London Examination. As far as I know, there are actually five main examination boards administering the examinations for GCE A-level currently in UK and they are OCR, WJEC, AQA, Edexcel and CEA. However, only some of these boards also offer A-levels to international students, one of them is Edexcel, which I am having now. Cambridge A-level is an exception and is conducted privately by University of Cambridge. It can be considered as the world’s largest provider of international qualifications for youngsters with ages ranging from 14 to 19 year olds. By the way, I wish to inform that UK government is now having reformation of education for 14–19 year olds and therefore there will be dramatic changes to the syllabus starting from 2009. (For Edexcel, we are having new syllabus now, it is quite bothering as we have to get all our textbooks very late)
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 13-12-2008 Default Re: A Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyijing2007 View Post
The GCE A-level you mean can be specifically known as Edexcel A-level, which I think is the only A-level available now in Malaysia.
I'm taking Cambridge A Level in M'sia though.

Quote:
By the way, I wish to inform that UK government is now having reformation of education for 14?19 year olds and therefore there will be dramatic changes to the syllabus starting from 2009. (For Edexcel, we are having new syllabus now, it is quite bothering as we have to get all our textbooks very late)
Alas,so its true that A Level syllabus will be(or already) reformed.Edexcel already have new syllabus?But Cambridge A level which I'm taking now don't seem to have yet.I wonder...
The Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
tanyijing2007 Male

#6 Old 15-12-2008 Default Re: A Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
I'm taking Cambridge A Level in M'sia though.

Alas,so its true that A Level syllabus will be(or already) reformed.Edexcel already have new syllabus?But Cambridge A level which I'm taking now don't seem to have yet.I wonder...
"Cambridge A-level is an exception and is conducted privately by University of Cambridge. It can be considered as the world?s largest provider of international qualifications for youngsters with ages ranging from 14 to 19 year olds." I hope you would have read this in my previous post.
Slightly Senior Member

#7 Old 20-12-2008 Default Re: A Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyijing2007 View Post
The GCE A-level you mean can be specifically known as Edexcel A-level, which I think is the only A-level available now in Malaysia. It is conducted by Edexcel, an examination board under Pearson and B. I am afraid to say there are quite a number of differences between Cambridge A-level and A-level conducted by Edexcel London Examination. As far as I know, there are actually five main examination boards administering the examinations for GCE A-level currently in UK and they are OCR, WJEC, AQA, Edexcel and CEA. However, only some of these boards also offer A-levels to international students, one of them is Edexcel, which I am having now. Cambridge A-level is an exception and is conducted privately by University of Cambridge. It can be considered as the world?s largest provider of international qualifications for youngsters with ages ranging from 14 to 19 year olds. By the way, I wish to inform that UK government is now having reformation of education for 14?19 year olds and therefore there will be dramatic changes to the syllabus starting from 2009. (For Edexcel, we are having new syllabus now, it is quite bothering as we have to get all our textbooks very late)
Could you list down the sources where this information is extracted? Edexcel has ties with the University of York??? Unheard of.
Sillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
tempurungfrog Female
Super Junior Member

#8 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: A Level

I've been doing my A-level in Concord College. Alas, it was a fun memorable and enriching experienced!
tempurungfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
starlover Female

#9 Old 06-12-2009 Default Re: A Level

hey, no one is doing a level here?

why this thread is so..dead

i'm taking CIE A Level now, hopefully can score all A's. sigh. gonna be hard
Super Junior Member

#10 Old 06-02-2010 Default Re: A Level

Some anwers to your query about the types of a level being offered in Malaysia.

There are 2 widely studied A level courses namely:

CIE stands for the Cambridge International Examinations which is strictly for, obviously, international students, conducted by Cambridge University.
The Singapore syllabus is different from the Malaysian CIE syllabus.
To sit for CIE, one has to do A level for one and a half years.
There are 2 stages(levels) involved. First, a student need to sit for the AS level exam which is very easy and then the AS level, which is much harder.
Both AS and A2 constitute the whole A level.

Edexcel, another type of A level which is run by a private company.
It is perceived that this is easier than the CIE A level because of the modular system. Modular means you are allowed to take a subject made up of units unlike CIE where the students sit for the final A2 exam covering the entire one and a half years' work. Modular is easier because, you study less and the exam is based on the few topics covered. Then you select another module(unit) and there is another exam based on that module.
woonmathic is offline   Reply With Quote