ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Career education and guidance in secondary school

bunny
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 13-12-2004 Default Career education and guidance in secondary school

How many of you actually felt lost about what career paths to take after SPM? I know I was and from the looks of the topics of some forum, many ppl are as well.

When have we been educated about career options in our education system? The only mention about career is when my class teacher actually asks us to fill a form with the question, "what is ur ambition?" on it. and how many of us have written engineer, doctor, lawyer or teacher in it? Are there no other jobs?

And honestly speaking, how many ppl based their career choices on what scholarships are available?

I think the education system should educate us more about future career options and encourage us to learn more about ourselves, what our passions are and what careers are suited for our character traits.

I know that I have grown up with many different ambitions, most of them are based on my experiences and who i have met, but I wish that I had received more career guidance early in my education years.

lemme recall my ambitions
primary school : air hostess ( cos get to travel around the world)
early secondary school : doctor (cos my mum wants me to be one)
late secondary school : engineer (cos i realize i don't like bio that much)
junior college : professor (cos i wanted to teach, because my parents are teachers)
and currently ????????

sighz, don't u guys wish u have more help in knowing ur career options and not only think about it once u are done with SPM, when u have so little time to think about it?
bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
DecentMerson

#2 Old 13-12-2004 Default

Agree and disagree....

Quote:
I know I was and from the looks of the topics of some forum, many ppl are as well.
AGREE!
I do think that many people are still uncertain abt their ambitions...

Quote:
When have we been educated about career options in our education system?
DISAGREE!
I think it is time to take up the responsibility of self learning...
Why must we still be educated about their own career options? It is time to go out and find out abt it... NO more spoon feeding... enough of it in our current education system... and too many of us are taking it for granted that everything shld be right before our eyes... There are many career fair, education fair, and colleges' & universities' open day... to learn about one options, he or she must be the proactive one...

Quote:
And honestly speaking, how many ppl based their career choices on what scholarships are available?
AGREE!
I do think some of us do... just like many of my friends, who are not as lucky as us who get a scholarship, also have to change their career path accordingly... sometimes, becoz of not being lucky enough, getting an A2 for SPM and not securing any scholarships, or getting a B in STPM and can't get the course u want in the local universities too forces u to change ur career path... C'est la vie...

however there are many choices in which course do u want to offer for ur scholarship.... for instance, on the JPA form, there are more than 10 options.... i think more ppl change their career options based on which country they want to be sent to...

But, luckily, i got what i want... but honestly, if i didn't get wat i want, i will most probably not take up the scholarship.

Quote:
sighz, don't u guys wish u have more help in knowing ur career options and not only think about it once u are done with SPM, when u have so little time to think about it?
AGREE....
but when u dun have any help.... u shld help urself... one shld really plan before SPM... i think Form 4 is not a bad time to start.. since that's when u decide to take the Art courses or the Sciences.. so, if u didn't have any idea abt ur career option then, i wonder how u choose which subjects to take??

Doctors.... hehehe... more than half of my form 5 classmates pick doctor as their ambition..... true enough, more than 10 of them are studying medicine in many countries... Viva Malaysia... with all doctors we need in 5 years time...
DecentMerson is offline   Reply With Quote
bunny
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 13-12-2004 Default

I agree with you that students should be more proactive in helping themselves look for information... and i wished i were more proactive... however, not every student live in big cities like kl or penang, where there are plenty of career fairs. Sometimes it's harder and less acessible for students who live in more remote areas, shouldn't these kids be given a chance to learn about career options? and what best way is it if not through their teachers?

and anyways career paths and dreams are pretty subjective stuff, even if u knew everything that u need to know about career options, not everyone would have made the right choices. 8O

but wouldn't it be nice if schools would invite professionals or adults with jobs to come to the school to talk about what their working life is really like? i mean u get this kind of talks in US unis, but in malaysian unis, this would be too late, since u have to decide on a vocation before u even enter university.
bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#4 Old 13-12-2004 Default

I would agree with bunny that greater efforts should be done on this aspect. I would say that one of the source of career guidance would be through the career guidance in each high school. I am not sure how many school has that, but my high school actually has 1 full-time staff, whose job is to help students to apply for scholarships and job opportunities. Although 1 staff (Pn. Agnes) may not be sufficient, what has been done, was that there is a club formed, Pembimbing Rakan Sebaya (PRS) and there are some 20-30 students who are members of that club, who has been provided as much information as possible, as well as brochure and information from as many universities, colleges, industries, and students are able to walk-in every afternoon to get help or utilize the resources.

Another aspect that this office does is to get students who have successfully get scholarships, IPTA, IPTS, overseas universities, colleges etc to come back to help the students, where I have gone back to speak once on ASEAN Scholarships, once on JPA Scholarships and even now, I am sending statistics and information back as much as I could. Many other students do the same, so like there would be a few days of education fair, where some of those days the colleges/universities would come in to give a talk, or do exhibition. I still remember attending some of those talks given by NTU, TAR College, MMU, UNITEN, UTM etc. There are also some of the days when it was done by the students who have enrolled in the universities, and there are help sessions provided even to help students filling up UPU form, and students are actually advised to apply for courses, (where there are a lot of personality tests for students to do and being advised what to choose based on their interest and also the chances of getting into each program, say the last year cut off is 84, and you have 82, they would not really advise you to apply for that program, depending on the category.

Typically students would be advised to select courses into 3 categories, where like for IPTA, there are 8 choices for each students, so typically students would choose 2 courses or so from those that they have slightly fewer points than the cut-off, and then 4 courses or so where they are at the cut-off points or they are slightly higher, and 2 other courses are the courses that they have interest in as well and they have higher points than the cut-off. Through this method, the school has managed to get almost 100% of the students into courses that they have interest in.

While not all schoolls may be able to have such resources to do, what my school has done is that during the education fair, it is actually open for students from neighboring schools. In a way, it can attract more colleges/universities to come, and in a way, it benefits other schools too.

And my school is in suburb area, and not any big cities. One thing important would be to get the help of the ex-student. Students who have left schools a few years ago, have been consistently going back to school to help, like we are encouraged to write for the school magazine ( I do for this year to share some advice with my fellow schoolmates, although I graduated from high school 5 years ago), Pn. Agnes actually has copies of our recommendation letters, CVs etc, so that she could help advised other students when they need help.

I am sharing this, so that may be fellow ReComers could go back to your high school to help initiate the change. Perhaps the changes may not be apparent, but anything positive is great~!
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
digimushu Male
Prototyper

#5 Old 14-12-2004 Default

This thread reminds me of the days when i was in in primary school and i told my mum i want to be a pilot(having to wear glasses a few years later shot down that dream). Many times we were co-erced into living our parent's dreams instead of our own. I still remember my parents trying to convince me in secondary school that medicine was the best career for me but I was sure that i was not cut out to save lives(hint: all my pets, with the exception of my dogs, died within weeks in my care).

I remember a friend of mine who is doing medicine right now told me she wanted to be a concert pianist, but her parents insisted that she did medicine since there is no guarantee of success as a pianist. I guess i was lucky in a sense that i know my talent was somewhere else. The inquitive behavior i have led to the disassembly of most of my toys, just because i was curious how they worked. Hence, with my trusty screwdriver, i knew i was an engineer in the making. it is sad to hear that many people, because of certain circumstances, had to forgo their dreams and hopes for the sake of money and parents.

I vaguely remember an alumni from my high school, coming to give us a talk on K-economy in my early secondary school years. he was a dynamic speaker with a lot of good points. There was also another alumni who did well in the Silicon Valley and came back to talk to us about engineering in general. it was a good experience to hear them talk and peek outside my 'oyster'. We also had a test adminstered to find out our character traits and suggest potential careers. So, in a sense, my school provided me with a sneak peek outside the world i knew.

In college, we took the Myers-briggs type indicator(MBTI) to find out our dominant character traits as to realize our strengths and weaknesses when we work with others. I hope that recommers will find what they like and go for it. as el-empty says, when you are 50, overweight, bald, and hating your job, its too late to regret.
kennytang
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 14-12-2004 Default

well, i gotta admit that i have no real ambition. i chose EE coz i dont like other majors. thats all. its kinda sucks, i know.
but then, i suppose one gotta like what he/she majoring in. jz like me, i am kinda interested in EE. if u dont like the courses or majors u r in, the only outcome will be --- failure or suffering.
well, to me, i suppose career fair or education fair is useful. but then, beware, some colleges r jz boasting bout their credibility. u needa know which is good n which is not.
i personally think that some colleges r not that good. (dont wanna mention their names though). DONT be influenced by ur frens. u gotta make ur own decision. my frens who blindly follow their frens into certain college r now so depressed after finding out the quality of the college. so jz bear this in mind. ur future belongs to no one else but YOU. make ur own decision.
kennytang is offline   Reply With Quote
vic1234
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 23-02-2005 Default SCHOLARSHIP

Hello Guys & Gals! Singapore design school offers up to 50% scholarship for courses in Fashion Design. Website: www.cidschool.com. You are welcome to apply
vic1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
weich
Anchors

#8 Old 23-02-2005 Default

I've always wanted to be an aeronautical engineer since I was like 11 years old and I am currently studying aeronautical engineering....but not sure if it's me or it's the lack of opportunities....I had to expand my horizon to include other fields like banking & accountancy...

anyway, if possible ReCom & Internship ASIA can probably do something to help this cause? Say, write up on the different degrees available, job prospects, pros & cons, etc

if interested, PM/email me & we can work it out.
weich is offline   Reply With Quote
lyzzy

#9 Old 24-02-2005 Default Re: Career education and guidance in secondary school

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny
lemme recall my ambitions
primary school : air hostess ( cos get to travel around the world)
early secondary school : doctor (cos my mum wants me to be one)
late secondary school : engineer (cos i realize i don't like bio that much)
junior college : professor (cos i wanted to teach, because my parents are teachers)
and currently ????????
LOL!!!

Mine are:
primary school - early sec school: doctor (good, nice prestigious job with loads of money.

Form 3: journalist (because I love english!)

Form 4-5: economist (was very inspired by the glamour of Wall Street)

A Level: chemical engineer (absolutely refused to do medicine, so have to chose 'safe' job eg. chem engineering)

University (now): majoring in Geology and English (i still love English!) but have no idea on what to do in the future. Will work for a while in oil companies/ with archaelogists, OR doing science writing, later, hopefully getting married, if not, going to grad school and becoming a professor/ going into research.
________
Mercedes-Benz M271 engine

Last edited by lyzzy; 08-02-2011 at 05:49 PM.
lyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote