ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Online Petition To Abolish Vernacular Schools

kintaro_kun
Slightly Senior Member

#1 Old 19-05-2009 Default Online Petition To Abolish Vernacular Schools

recently the president of the national press club, ahirudin attan, or more popualrly known as the blogger rockybru, has made an online petition to abolish vernacular schools, by his definition in the open letter to the minister of education, chinese and tamil schools, for the sake of national unity. more can be found in his blog entry:

http://rockybru.com.my/2009/05/1-sek...tuk-semua.html

interestingly, he has compared the msian education system with spore's, and weirdly, had been silent on other single race by law institutions such as UiTM, MARA colleges, malay college kuala kangsar etc. i am not here to promote the petition, nor to ask ppl to go against it. just feel free to voice your opinions.

if you support his stand, then feel free to participate in the online petition. the petition link is in his blog.

Last edited by kintaro_kun; 19-05-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: addition
kintaro_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#2 Old 19-05-2009 Default Re: Online Petition To Abolish Vernacular Schools

All race based institutions should be abolished. That includes vernacular schools, UiTM, Matriculation etc etc etc.

Anyone who is poor should be helped regardless or race...

Of course, when this policy is implemented, BN will start to lose their edge in politics

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
nemosmknimh Female
Slightly Senior Member

#3 Old 19-05-2009 Default Re: Online Petition To Abolish Vernacular Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseehua View Post
All race based institutions should be abolished. That includes vernacular schools, UiTM, Matriculation etc etc etc.

Anyone who is poor should be helped regardless or race...

Of course, when this policy is implemented, BN will start to lose their edge in politics

Najib said that now if there's any problems including races problems,they shouldnt be handled by only 1 responsible oarty but all paties should be responsible to it
Lord of Spams 2009
Wiki Contributor

#4 Old 19-05-2009 Default Re: Online Petition To Abolish Vernacular Schools

It's easier said that done as many parties has to agree about this. Doesn't mean we send this petition, government will abolish. Anyway, there is nothing wrong for trying. I hope to see people regardless of race mix together without feeling awkward or facing language difficulty.

#5 Old 19-05-2009 Default Re: Online Petition To Abolish Vernacular Schools

Abolish vernacular schools? Easier said than done -- I forsee quite a few of them just giving up and becoming private schools --> segregating the students even more from the other races.
eve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
vikraman Male
Slightly Senior Member

#6 Old 19-05-2009 Default Re: Online Petition To Abolish Vernacular Schools

Race based institutions should go. Agreed. Are vernacular schools race based institutions? Yes they are overwhelmingly single race but are there are visible or invisible quotas in force? Unlike all fully government funded institutes of education ranging from Kemas kindergartens to Universities. All of them have racial quotas to adhere to.

Vernacular schools are, essentially, language based institutions. Not race based ones. So lets not confuse the parameters of this debate. No one ever stopped a non-chinese/non-indian from entering a chinese/indian vernacular school. We're absolutely fine. I'm sure no indian/chinese is interested in actively discriminating against malays, most of them simply want to see their culture and language survive.

I foresee an end to vernacular schools. Not by government edict but by market forces. Students coming from chinese/indian schools are mostly ill equipped for the marketplace simply due a poor command of english in most instances and the moment english medium schools are reintroduced, vernacular schools will die a natural death. If the government is interested in killing off vernacular in the name of interracial harmony, they should go about it in a way least offensive to the "champions of the races" DJZ, Hindraf et al. The way to do that would be to move to English medium state funded education and decentralisation of education authority to lower levels, state, local government areas etc. then the forces of the marketplace will take over and the more competitive schools (which will inevitable be the english medium ones) will survive and the less competitive ones will die a natural death.

And that's the way Singapore went about it's business. It didn't forcefully integrate the schools. Singapore had no non-vernacular schools in the 60's. Then LKY picked some vernacular schools and "convinced" the school boards to turn them into English schools for additional government funding. Slowly, the market forces forced the other school boards to move towards English and eventually by the early 80's there were no vernacular schools left in Singapore. All that was simply a democratic exercise of choice by the school boards who are guided by their customers, ie. students and parents. In the end, nobody was left sour.

Last edited by vikraman; 19-05-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Researched some stuff.
vikraman is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#7 Old 20-05-2009 Default Re: Online Petition To Abolish Vernacular Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikraman View Post
Vernacular schools are, essentially, language based institutions. Not race based ones. So lets not confuse the parameters of this debate. No one ever stopped a non-chinese/non-indian from entering a chinese/indian vernacular school. We're absolutely fine. I'm sure no indian/chinese is interested in actively discriminating against malays, most of them simply want to see their culture and language survive.
Seconded whole-heartedly. Vernacular schools welcome non-Chinese or non-Indians into their folds as well. Thus, abolishing vernacular schools based on the grounds that it promotes racial segregation is not a valid reason.

And even if it is abolished in order to promote racial integration, I doubt if it will work, considering the fact that racial segregation still happens in national schools, albeit at a subtle level perhaps. But you can still see students sitting with their own racial cliques. So even if vernacular schools are abolished, I don't really see how racial integration can be effectively promoted. On the outside, it really is a mixture of all three races in one school. But on the inside, you will still find segregation of races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikraman View Post
And that's the way Singapore went about it's business. It didn't forcefully integrate the schools. Singapore had no non-vernacular schools in the 60's. Then LKY picked some vernacular schools and "convinced" the school boards to turn them into English schools for additional government funding. Slowly, the market forces forced the other school boards to move towards English and eventually by the early 80's there were no vernacular schools left in Singapore. All that was simply a democratic exercise of choice by the school boards who are guided by their customers, ie. students and parents. In the end, nobody was left sour.
Well, perhaps we should go this way, too.

From the language point of view, I am in favour of school systems which require students to take up the national language, English (being the international language) as well as encouraging them to take up their mother tongue (or any other languages if their mother tongue is the national language). Correct me if I am wrong, but Singapore adopts a system that is similar to the above description, no?

Of course, we can argue that even in national schools, mother tongue languages are also taught in "Pupils' Own Language" classes (POL), however I find it very much ineffective. I have attended POL classes myself, and I cannot see my level of Mandarin anywhere comparable to that of a student who is taking that subject full-time. Let's face it - having only one two-hour class for your mother tongue isn't going to get you as far as those who are taking at least three lessons per week. And since POL lessons do not provide examinations or tests, who would bother taking the extra mile, huh?

Yes, the last sentence above makes it sound like everything is so exam-oriented. Well, we ARE still exam-oriented, and until the education system is such that this "exam-oriented syndrome" is dealt with, I don't see how students will not be motivated to push themselves harder just to secure that A in examinations, instead of fulfilling the quest for knowledge. And if it is something that is not examinable, well, why bother?

Therefore, as quoted below by bluez_aspic:

Quote:
Sometimes I think the government has already abolished all forms of education.
Well, it certainly has. While other countries are going forward, we have chosen to go backwards.

Last edited by henry_yew; 20-05-2009 at 01:55 AM.
henry_yew is offline   Reply With Quote
Trekk Male

#8 Old 20-05-2009 Default Re: Online Petition To Abolish Vernacular Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez_aspic View Post
Sometimes I think the government has already abolished all forms of education.
LOL. Absolutely true.
Trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
frankchong

#9 Old 03-06-2009 Default Re: Online Petition To Abolish Vernacular Schools

The government has destroyed many good mission schools and MU has been going down hill with more government involvement.
Now, someone is suggesting giving more power to the same group of people in the name of unity! It sounds like the supporters should try to live in North Korea or Cuba for a while to enjoy their equality before convincing us.
If you really want to help, try to create something better, don't be the worst and force everyone to follow your footsteps. The old communist bloc have done those, don't copy those tactics and force them onto us, however nice it may sound.
It is much harder to create something better than destroying something others have build up through the years, a great civilization is valued for what they have created/contribute to civilization, not by destrying what others have created or putting one's name on roads others have built.

Frank
frankchong is offline   Reply With Quote