ReCom.org
Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

US Universities Application FAQ V.2

Leen
Peacemaker
Administrator

#1 Old 20-03-2008 Default US Universities Application FAQ V.2

Ok. The last thread was full. It will create a lot of headaches to browse through more than 2000+ post in the first thread.

For archieving purposes, this is the link to the earlier version of this thread.
http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1143

This is what you do here.
If you have good tips that you want to share here, please do so.

If you have specific questions to ask, ask here.

If you have the answers to the questions, post here.

Any unnecessary posts here will be deleted and poster will be reprimanded.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Last edited by Leen; 25-03-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Leen is offline   Reply With Quote
t

#2 Old 20-03-2008 Default

this is what i found when i googled around.
the following colleges will meet 100% of your need if you are accepted
A)National Universities:
Harvard(need blind to internationals meaning ur financial situation will have no effect in the admission commitee's decision)
Princeton(need blind to internationals)
Yale(need blind to internationals)
Columbia University:Fu Foundation(engineering school)
Columbia University:Columbia College
Brown
Dartmouth
UPenn
Cornell
mit
georgetown(not sure, research it)
tufts
brandeis
lehigh(doesn't give that much)
georgewashington university(not sure, research into it)
Duke
UChicago
Cooper Union (will give full tuition to all accepted,including internationals-so if you can afford $10,000 its worth applying)

B)LAC
williams(need blind to internationals)
amherst
swarthmore
midllebury(need blind to internationals)
bates
bowdoin
colby
haverford
wesleyan
vassar
colgate
hamilton
washington and lee
trintity college
lafayette
bard
union
dickinson
franklin and marshall
sarah lawrence
gettysburg
skidmore
wheaton
st.lawrence
carleton, reed, macalester, oberlin, kenyon, colorado,whitman, connecticut, grinnell,occidental,lawrence(doesn't give much)
t

#3 Old 20-03-2008 Default

i'm not so sure about wheaton and brandeis
aquila

#4 Old 20-03-2008 Default Clark University

Hi folks,
Someone I know just got a full tuition scholarship under the GLobal Scholars Program to attend Clark University in fall 2008. I was wondering if there's any Clark alumni on Recom who wouldn't mind sharing what he/she thinks about Clark. Anyone who knows anything about Clark, I would really appreciate it if you can help us out here.

How is Clark's curriculum/studying environment/student life/research and service opportunities like?
What is Clark's reputation like?
Do employers/grad schools look favorably upon Clark alumni who have done well in school?

Thanks for your help!
aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
forEVA

#5 Old 20-03-2008 Default

err.. based on the previous responses by the senior citizens of recom in the earlier US uni app thread, getting a place in cornell doesnt guarantee a full ride there. ):
caramel_nut Female
Slightly Senior Member

#6 Old 20-03-2008 Default

Columbia University is one of the stingiest colleges. Even if you are admitted, there is a very low chance of getting a decent financial aid package.

Besides, if you are applying for financial aid for some of the stingy colleges, you are basically out. The same applies to UPenn. The only way to get admitted by UPenn for an international student with aid is to apply EA. Even that is hard, considering the stiff competition and there are always many other students who are equally qualified but do not need finaid. Chicago has extremely limited finaid and I have not heard of anyone admitted by Chicago with aid yet.

Last edited by caramel_nut; 20-03-2008 at 06:16 PM.
caramel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
caramel_nut Female
Slightly Senior Member

#7 Old 20-03-2008 Default

Also, one thing to take into consideration about financial aid is the components that it consists. Be aware of the "self-help", "loans" and "expected parents contribution". Some finaid packages come with huge chunks of loans or self-help = not good. You wouldn't want to graduate with tons of loans or work yourself to death during the semester.
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#8 Old 20-03-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forEVA View Post
err.. based on the previous responses by the senior citizens of recom in the earlier US uni app thread, getting a place in cornell doesnt guarantee a full ride there. ):
For Cornell, need blind is only for Americans.

For international students, the total financial aid is for 30 people. So, it would be a small number of international students would get financial aid. Cornell is on a fund raising drive to raise money, and any Cornell alumni can donate for this cause.

Congrats to 2 ReComers who managed to get into Uni of Chicago, and 2 more who are waitlisted!

Congrats to Su Ann (aka pinkpau) and Eu Win!

To Li Xian and Yi Xiang, all the best in your convertion of wait-listing to acceptance!

Last edited by Leen; 21-03-2008 at 12:49 AM.
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
caramel_nut Female
Slightly Senior Member

#9 Old 21-03-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramel_nut View Post
Columbia University is one of the stingiest colleges. Even if you are admitted, there is a very low chance of getting a decent financial aid package.

Besides, if you are applying for financial aid for some of the stingy colleges, you are basically out. The same applies to UPenn. The only way to get admitted by UPenn for an international student with aid is to apply EA. Even that is hard, considering the stiff competition and there are always many other students who are equally qualified but do not need finaid. Chicago has extremely limited finaid and I have not heard of anyone admitted by Chicago with aid yet.
I got a PM regarding Stanford, so I thought I'd just share my thoughts here. For the past few years, Stanford has been need-aware towards internationals and applying for aid would seriously decrease your chances. Many int. students who were admitted in the past, chose NOT to submit a financial aid application despite needing the aid. Their main concern was to secure the offer, then seek for money later through other channels. Stanford has recently (as of last year) made some changes to their financial aid policy but as far as I know, the enhancements apply mainly to domestic students. Deducing from this line on Stanford's website:

"For all but some international applicants, financial status will not affect the admission decision."

I would think that unfortunately Stanford is still beyond reach of international students who need finaid. Stanford's endowment is actually pretty big, so I have been wondering where the $$$ goes if they don't spend it on international students' finaid or make any efforts to do that. xD
aquamarine7
Super Junior Member

#10 Old 21-03-2008 Default

hi,i have a question:
i have already done 1 1/2 of adp in a local private college..if i wud like to apply to any need-blind uni as freshman, is it alright??i mean is it against the policy or anything?
Thanks in advance=)
aquamarine7 is offline   Reply With Quote