ReCom.org
Rules, News and Info Kiosk Get the latest news and updates here.

ReCom is now recruiting!

Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#1 Old 06-08-2010 Default ReCom is now recruiting!

Calling all Recomers -- spammers, contributors and lurkers alike!

Have you ever wanted to give a little something back to Recom, apart from sticking around? Looking for "that little extra bit" to top off your CV? Suffering from constant boredom?

In line with our plans to expand Recom, we are now looking to recruit some fresh young faces to join our staff.

Benefits
1. The experience will be beneficial and CV-worthy. You'll learn how to take up responsibility and how to work with others in a team.
2. Incredibly flexible working schedules: No heavy commitment required. We're looking at maybe helping out once or twice a week.
3. You'll get to work with some of the most awesome people you'll ever meet! Enough said. ;)
4. User perks: To name a few, you'll get to enjoy access to secret boards, custom user titles and even special username colours for your account. Further perks for staff members are currently being discussed and will be announced in due time. Suggestions are welcome!

The positions available are as follows:
1. Site Developer -- urgently needed; high priority
Job description: Web programming/coding -- you'll work on the site, forum and Wiki. The language involved is PHP and MySQL. A few of our short term goals are to upgrade to vBulletin 4.0 and to expand our Scholars Database to allow non-scholars to also enter information on their courses and universities.
Requirements: Knowledge of any programming language is fine, but should ideally be comfortable with HTML and CSS. Adobe Photoshop knowledge is a plus!

As an additional perk, developers get a devastatingly sexy orange username like this user! The ladies [or guys, for the fairer sex] will be dropping over you like flies! Who says programmers can't get any? ;)

This will be an amazing opportunity to help develop Recom from behind the scenes, and you will be working with some of the most brilliant programmers around [like the aforementioned user above], so there will be room to improve and develop your own programing skills.

If you're interested or require more information on this position, please get in touch with vseehua or Xon via PM.

2. ReMag Staff [Positions CLOSED, but feel free to register your interest in case a position frees up]
Job description: ReMag will be Recom's online bulletin published every week/fortnight/month [to be decided]. We therefore need writers to contribute content. We are currently hoping to put out two or three articles per issue, but might increase the volume of our content if we have enough contributors. You also have the freedom to write about almost anything under the sun, so it will be an opportunity to exercise your creativity and experiment with different writing styles.
Requirements: An interest in writing and expressing your thoughts. At least an average standard of English, but a stronger command would be a definite plus. Grammar does not have to be completely perfect since I will proofread and edit every article before posting it up. Must also be able to commit to submitting at least ONE article every month/fortnight [depending on how often we release an issue].

Please join us! It will be a great chance to get your writings published and opinions heard. I am currently still negotiating forum perks for my darling-to-be ReMag staff, so I can't name anything conclusive yet, but I am thinking of stuff like bigger avatar size limits, a bigger PM inbox allowance, and of course maybe even custom titles and special coloured usernames for ReMag staff. If ReMag becomes active enough, we might even get our own secret board!

If you're interested or require more information on this position, please get in touch with me [Glassylicious] via PM.

3. Wiki Contributor
Job description: Contributes to the Recom Wiki by writing articles and editing/proofreading existing articles.
Requirements: An interest in sharing information and helping others. At least an average standard of English; don't worry about being perfect as your articles will be proofread by other Wiki contributors. A stronger command of English will be a huge plus, as you will then be able to proofread any existing articles for grammatical errors and make any necessary edits to improve the flow of the article's structure.

Again, forum perks for this role are still on the blueprints, but they should hopefully be announced soon.

If you're interested or require more information on this position, please get in touch with youngyew or vseehua via PM.

--------

So there you have it! Feel free to post if you have any questions on any of the positions, or if you'd like to make a suggestion on any forum perks you might want to see. ;)

Looking forward to having you on board!

Cheers,
Glassy
ReCom Moderator and Staff

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!

Last edited by Glassylicious; 21-09-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glassylicious For This Useful Post:
bush
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#2 Old 06-08-2010 Default Re: ReCom is now recruiting!

No monetary compensation?
bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#3 Old 06-08-2010 Default Re: ReCom is now recruiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush View Post
No monetary compensation?
We would honestly love to pay our staff, but as it currently stands we are barely scraping by with the hosting bills. =/

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

bush
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#4 Old 06-08-2010 Default Re: ReCom is now recruiting!

Positions 2 and 3 sound interesting. But dunno what to write about sometimes. Time commitment is also a thing....
bush is offline   Reply With Quote
markwongsk Male
Developer

#5 Old 07-08-2010 Default Re: ReCom is now recruiting!

I would love to apply for 1 but I'm illiterate in PHP =( Only know Java and Python T_T
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#6 Old 07-08-2010 Default Re: ReCom is now recruiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush View Post
Positions 2 and 3 sound interesting. But dunno what to write about sometimes. Time commitment is also a thing....
For position 2:
You can write about almost anything under the sun. It doesn't necessarily have to be a serious article on, say, the effects of pop culture on our younger generation, or an analysis on the meaning of democracy in today's governments. Doesn't have to be a very long article either. Maybe around 700 or 800 words if you don't feel like doing a 1500-word one. XD

As for your question about time commitment, right now I'm planning to put ReMag on "trial mode". We're going to give it a go for about three issues and then see if we do have the manpower to sustain the project in the long term. So I was thinking maybe an issue out a month for now, and an article [or two, but only if you have time] from each contributor. So if I get 3 contributors, that'll be 3 to 4 articles out every issue in total. Does that sound okay to you?

For position 3:
There isn't really a set deadline for writing articles for the Wiki or anything, but if you're having writers' block, you can just proofread some of our existing articles and edit to improve the structure/remove grammatical errors at your own leisure. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwongsk View Post
I would love to apply for 1 but I'm illiterate in PHP =( Only know Java and Python T_T
Hmm, I'm not sure if knowledge of Java and Python can work, but let me get my programmer friend in this topic and he can better advise you on this. =) [I was, after all, told that "any programming language will be fine".]

sleevelesssky Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#7 Old 07-08-2010 Default Re: ReCom is now recruiting!

Count me in for No.2 and 3.
sleevelesssky is offline   Reply With Quote
hyperair Male
Developer

#8 Old 07-08-2010 Default Re: ReCom is now recruiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwongsk View Post
No problemo. I'm just as clueless as you are. What's important is that there's an Internet full of knowledge out there and you have to be willing to learn.
hyperair is offline   Reply With Quote
markwongsk Male
Developer

#9 Old 07-08-2010 Default Re: ReCom is now recruiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperair View Post
No problemo. I'm just as clueless as you are. What's important is that there's an Internet full of knowledge out there and you have to be willing to learn.
Haha, I sure am willing to learn, but it would be better if I had a teacher or someone to guide me. I have to cope with C, Perl, Shell, Python and Java this semester =(((( so I won't have the time to be too... proactive, if you get my point xD
The Student
Administrator

#10 Old 07-08-2010 Default Re: ReCom is now recruiting!

I am learning the languages on my own as well. In fact, while looking for a job right now, I am learning C#, Objective-C, C, php, perl, and MySQL on my own right now...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote