ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Activities Hub > ReCom Sports Bar

ReCom Sports Bar Talk about your favorite sports here

English Premier League 2011/2012 Thread.

Dman90 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#21 Old 04-01-2012 Default Re: English Premier League 2011/2012 Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senksiang90 View Post
Spurs are having just 'one of those runs' like Newcastle did...

Cleverly is easily spotted as the 'Clever' one. He will make the headlines soon. As for Rafa and Fabio, they tend to give away silly fouls during crucial moments and if that isn't silly enough, i dunno what is.

Anyway, you can say all you want about United youngsters but the results they are getting is just an indicator of what this team can do in a season. Imagine, this season alone, so many youngsters were given a premier league debut have been a quite a regular eleven, yet they are second just to Man City.

If this young team can finish second in their debut season, who knows what they can go and achieve for the next few.

All i can say is just stay tune and find out..

As for man city, nah.. they are never the team to beat unless they win the premier league. if arsenal were top, they are also not the team to beat until they become champions once more. Man United is the real team to beat. They are still the champions, still in contention and still running strong despite the departure of G. Neville and Scholes.

Waddya think?

Dont you agree that every other clubs supporters just HATES man united? hahhahaa..

No.

Not really.

Nawh.

Dman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Archangel Female
Less Junior Member

#22 Old 04-01-2012 Default Re: English Premier League 2011/2012 Thread.

I'm a Liverpool fan (yes, Man Utd fans can hate me now) for life. I just want your opinion on Craig Bellamy. Do you think he's a good replacement for Carroll? I think the Reds should sell Carroll, maybe buy Hazard/Podolski this January.

Your thoughts?
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Dman90 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#23 Old 05-01-2012 Default Re: English Premier League 2011/2012 Thread.

Oh boy I LOVE Craig Bellamy! Sure, he's a little firebrand but those are sorely lacking in the game these days. He's also a little nutty but that's what makes him so passionate I guess. He used to be even better when he had the pace but he hasn't lost much of it. He's a bit too similar to Suarez in terms of style of play, so I can't really see them playing together up front (though Bellamy could be on the wing). I'd be interested in seeing Gerrard playing off Suarez, like he used to do behind an in-form Torres.

As for Carroll - flop. I know he's got potential and all that but the bottom line is that he cost ?35million. A bit unfair on him for LFC to plaster such a big price tag onto his ponytail, but what can you do. Even buying Stewart Downing didn't help. Jury's still out on Henderson and though I do like Adam at times, he's no Lucas. No doubt, Kenny's biggest gaffe was letting Meireles go.

Hazard? Sorry, but no chance. With all due respect to LFC, the Reds aren't exactly at the top of Eden Hazard's wishlist. Unless he turns out to be a childhood fan, or if LFC can somehow leverage on Joe Cole's loan deal at Lille. Hazard can take his pick of Real Madrid, Inter, Arsenal, and maybe even PSG as well.

Podolski's been linked with Arsenal, that may happen since Gervinho and his forehead are leaving for Cup o' Nations duty, but I doubt it. Liverpool need a striker, and you couldn't do much worse than Jordan Rhodes. 21 years old, 22 goals in 22 games for Huddersfield this season. If they want someone more high profile, Olivier Giroud at Montpellier in Ligue Un also has a great scoring record.

Who do you think your team should sign this January Transfer Window?

FoxyWoxy25 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#24 Old 18-01-2012 Default Re: English Premier League 2011/2012 Thread.

Gary Cahill is enough for now. Don't want to rock an already unstable boat with additional signings. As for the summer, I would like to see a couple of wing-backs come in, as well as a winger to complement Mata. Another creative midfielder wouldn't hurt either.

Jose Bosingwa has proved to be unreliable in defence, and someone has to replace him; Ashley Cole is getting older and he appears to be fading, but Bertrand and van Aanholt don't have enough match practice and the quality required to replace him.

Meanwhile with Mata on board, it would be nice to see another flying winger to recreate the Duff/Robben partnership. Sturridge is simply too wasteful with his crossing, passing and finishing.

I'm not gonna talk about Hazard/de Bruyne because enough has been said about them, we'll just have to wait and see. With Meireles finally settling in the team, Lampard continuing to be Mr. Consistent, and Essien coming back from injury, we don't need another midfielder for now.
ReMag Writer

#25 Old 18-01-2012 Default Re: English Premier League 2011/2012 Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWoxy25 View Post
Gary Cahill is enough for now. Don't want to rock an already unstable boat with additional signings. As for the summer, I would like to see a couple of wing-backs come in, as well as a winger to complement Mata. Another creative midfielder wouldn't hurt either.

Meanwhile with Mata on board, it would be nice to see another flying winger to recreate the Duff/Robben partnership. Sturridge is simply too wasteful with his crossing, passing and finishing.

I'm not gonna talk about Hazard/de Bruyne because enough has been said about them, we'll just have to wait and see. With Meireles finally settling in the team, Lampard continuing to be Mr. Consistent, and Essien coming back from injury, we don't need another midfielder for now.
So Chelsea need another creative midfielder, but not another midfielder? I'd prefer if Sturridge got a chance up front, especially now since Drogba and Kalou are away and Anelka's buggered off to China. Not much point playing him on the wing, unless it's as part of a 4-3-3.

Again, as with Liverpool, I don't really see why Hazard would want to join Chelsea. Unless they're the only club to match his transfer fee/release clause.

Gary Cahill is alright, but pair him with David Luiz and you have some potential LOLs. At least Cahill scores goals.

FoxyWoxy25 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#26 Old 19-01-2012 Default Re: English Premier League 2011/2012 Thread.

Haha I didn't really make myself clear with that one there. I don't think need another midfielder now, but the need may arise again in the summer. Hope that is a better explanation.

Sturridge is perhaps Chelsea's version of Walcott. I'd rather see LuLu get a chance up front and develop into Drogba V2.0. We play with a form of 4-3-3, but with the wingers drifting in, wing-backs bombing forwards, and Romeu dropping back into defence, it turns into a 3-4-3/3-3-4. Having Sturridge play as more of an inside-forward works well with the system since he has the pace and instinct.

I can't remember with whom I had a discussion about David Luiz. Anyway, as I mentioned before, Bosingwa is a liability in defence. So has Luiz, but he has been marginally better. Luiz also has this tendency to roam forwards to create chances and be the extra man. So, why not push him out wide, while our pair of English centrebacks get on the the job of not conceding soft goals.
ReMag Writer

#27 Old 02-02-2012 Default Re: English Premier League 2011/2012 Thread.

Paul Scholes is going to win the Ballon D'or this season! =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman90 View Post
No.

Not really.

Nawh.
Is that line from Jar Jar Binks?!

Last edited by nicholas93; 02-02-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
nicholas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Dman90 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#28 Old 02-02-2012 Default Re: English Premier League 2011/2012 Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas93 View Post
Paul Scholes is going to win the Ballon D'or this season! =D

Is that line from Jar Jar Binks?!

Uhm... Paul Scholes isn't going to win any international individual awards by playing in just the Premier League. Unless he scores more than Robin van Persie does, which (although likely, as it's THE Paul Scholes) isn't very likely.

JAR JAR BINKS?! Oh no, brotha. I made that up meself.

Archangel Female
Less Junior Member

#29 Old 04-02-2012 Default Re: English Premier League 2011/2012 Thread.

Liverpool beating both Manchester clubs does prove that the Reds do have their days, huh? As a Reds fan, I'm also quite disappointed that the goal scorers are always the veterans like Bellamy, Kuyt and so on. Where are the young boys? Probably Kenny needs to play the young ones like Suso, Coady and Sterling.

And Man Utd and Man City need to buck up in terms of defence. I mean, come on, leaking goals doesn't really show the strength of the team. Where was the Man City we knew towards the start of the season?

From a Liverpool fan.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
FoxyWoxy25 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#30 Old 14-02-2012 Default Re: English Premier League 2011/2012 Thread.

Both teams have been hit by injuries to key players in defence. Man City's defence also wasn't helped by Kompany being banned, and the Toure brothers going off to Africa.

Also, Liverpool recently played against ManUtd last weekend and lost. Jay Sterling was largely absent from the game, despite playing, and I didn't even realise Henderson was on the pitch until late in the match. The Reds certainly have their days and can up their game against arguably better opponents, but it didn't happen at Old Trafford.

As for playing young players, it is probably because of Liverpool's system that they can't get a game. Suso is definitely behind Suarez and even Carroll in the pecking order. In midfield, Sterling will probably get a game or two while Lucas is out, but I don't see Coady getting into the team any time soon. That's the issue with the EPL being a fiercely competitive league and it's hard for youngsters (barring Oxlande-Chamberlain) to break into teams if the first XI are fit.

And what's your problem with veterans scoring? A goal's a goal, doesn't matter who it comes from.