ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Activities Hub > ReCom Sports Bar

ReCom Sports Bar Talk about your favorite sports here

Castle's powerlifting training & meet log

castle Male
Slightly Senior Member

#1 Old 05-10-2016 Default Castle's Training Log Intro

Edit: I guess I can't reply to my own thread without it automerging? Maybe I'm just an idiot. I'll just post a new thread for each entry. Fuck it. Sorry mods, if you exist that is.

I wonder if this thread will trigger a mod to log in and check out this dead site. Either way, I feel like I've stumbled upon an empty and abandoned warehouse where I have access to most things and since I have the time, I figured I'd use the site to my own whims and fancies. And that currently involves logging and making notes of my current training regiment in the sport of powerlifting.

Here I will post regularly about my training and my progress, also about the competitions that I join.Who am I talking to through this thread in particular? Nobody really, just to myself. If any of the mods see this, well, maybe we can have a conversation. I miss this place, I used to visit it daily. It pains me to see it die like this but no matter, I will use it. I would be most surprised if I get a reply.

I do wonder though, how come the site is still up after years of disuse? Hey admin, how are you paying for the server?

Well, without further ado, I begin my training diary.

A little bit of history of my lifting experience. Back in 2011, when I was studying in Wichita State University, I had my first exposure to the iron. I did something called fuckarounditis for a few months, learned some movements, got distracted and bored, then I stopped. The I started back up again intermittently here and there for the better part of the next 3 years. I never touched the iron when 2014 began as I graduated from college already by then.

From 2014 to mid of 2015, I went through seasons of being very skinny to skinny fat to plain old fat. Mid 2015 was when I stumbled across powerlifting. Me and Josephine signed up for a gym membership when I finally got my job situation more secure. I researched a bit about training, looked into the type of training that I might like, and it turns out, the big 3 is exactly what I like. What are the big 3? Squat, bench press and deadlift of course.

Now ever since I started back, I've dabbled in multiple programs and training principles and currently running what I consider to be the best training style for me. In the next post I'll talk a little bit about these programs I've tried up to the current program. From then on I will begin logging entries about my current training. And hey, I did a powerlifting meet back in August this year (2016) so I'll probably write about that too, soon.

I started my training in August of 2015. Beginning of the month I believe. Me and Josephine, we both ran Stronglift 5x5 for 3 months after the usual first week of fuckarounditis. I think it might be easier if I just list them down chronologically and write about each program underneath its own header:

1. Stronglifts 5x5 (August 2015-October 2015)
Ahh, Stronglifts 5x5. Here I was, a total noob thinking that this was the program that will get me deadlifting 200kg. You know what, it's not really fair to be shitting on the program because it did what it does best. Introduction. It allowed me to get accustomed to the big 3 movements, let me practice and progress really really quickly. But I'd strongly suggest any beginners to move away from Stronglifts 5x5 after maybe 10 weeks. There are better programs out there.

2. GZCL training principle (November 2015-January 2016)
Here is where I got my first taste of programming for myself. I was a noob still, so suffice to say what I cooked up didn't do shit for me. GZCL is a great training principle and anybody who's had some experience in training should try it once. I stopped end of January because I wanted to experiment with other things.

3. Reverse Pyramid Training RPT (February 2016-May 2016)
I fucked up my back beginning of February so after 2 weeks of recovery I was enthusiastic in trying out a new training principle which is the RPT. It's alright I guess, but my programming did something to my shoulders that I'm still trying to fix now. Imbalances from all the forced shoulder work. Man I hate overhead work.

4. Meet prep (June 2016-August 2016)
I dabbled with meet prep style of periodization during this time, whereby 12 weeks were divided into hypertrophy, strength and peaking blocks. I upped the volume a little bit more but that's that. This is where my beginner-ness showed. I trained this way up to my meet on August 20th where I place 16th out of 16th in the U-75kg class. Not bad. Last place for my first meet is great, you know why? Because I didn't bomb. Meaning I completed the competition, I qualified for a placement, even if that placement is last. I totaled 367.5kg with 130kg squat, 82.5kg bench, and 155kg deadlift. This shows that the meet prep kinda but didn't work, so some work needed to be done in the off cycle.

5. NPAD program (September 2016-Current)
I took about 4 weeks after the meet to experiment. Looked at different programs, see what my body responds best to, figure out better form and stance for my lifts, etc. At the end of that, I came up with what I think is the best program for me currently which is a DUP program combined with a bastardized death bench program made by Matt Disbrow. Link at below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...VRLTjdvVnhYOUk

Last edited by castle; 07-10-2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
castle is offline   Reply With Quote
capablanca Male
Laziest
Forum Moderator

#2 Old 27-10-2016 Default Re: Castle's powerlifting training & meet log

Ah, someone's been reading leangains, I see.

Your progressed is impressive. I started earlier than you but my progress stalled frequently because I don't consume enough calories to grow + lack of sleep from work.
Plus, I'd an injury about 2 years ago when I was lifting about 75kg BP without a spotter and the bar fell on my head. Had to get a few stitches to seal back the wound.

That caused me to stall for a year and I pretty much stopped for a couple months to heal. Still had a little trauma where I didn't dare to progress much whenever I reached PR that'd been really holding me back cause I'm just so darn concern about injury. I still never gotten pass 75kg in BP though I'm inching back near that.

I'm using RPT right now. It's my main since I started. I weaned off stronglifts after about 3 months. I seldom squat after SL (cause my thighs are too much for my trousers). So, I only do pistol squats. I'm focusing more on aesthetics instead of powerlifting though my focus had always been on strength. Just now in big 3.
Slightly Senior Member

#3 Old 08-11-2016 Default Re: Castle's powerlifting training & meet log

Wow, I never actually expected somebody to reply. I guess I have to actually update from now on. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capablanca View Post
I'm using RPT right now. It's my main since I started. I weaned off stronglifts after about 3 months. I seldom squat after SL (cause my thighs are too much for my trousers). So, I only do pistol squats. I'm focusing more on aesthetics instead of powerlifting though my focus had always been on strength. Just now in big 3.
Dude, you should always squat. Big thighs are great man. Fuck the trousers, get stretchy ones. If clothes limit my growth I might as well be DYEL forever. Haha. But seriously, don't let your trousers dictate your legs size. Good luck on your quest to get back on the bench. Doing any particular program for the bench?

Last edited by castle; 08-11-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
castle is offline   Reply With Quote